Monday, November 21, 2016

I have faith in nights.


I've fallen a little bit behind on my writing, largely due to the fact that I live in a very liberal part of the US, and the Presidential election has created a bit of a panic. 

Regardless of what your personal political opinion may be, you probably know people who are feeling scared and threatened right now. The gothic community has long been a safe space for people of all genders and orientations, admittedly we aren't as racially diverse as we could be - but with each passing year I see more goths of color being welcomed to the scene, and it warms the icy dungeon of my heart. 

The gothic scene has always been a haven for people who don't fit in with mainstream culture. We take pleasure in things that most people might consider morbid or scary. That sets us apart, but it also brings us together.  Despite the arguments, schisms, and "gother than thou" attitudes, we are basically just a crowd of black wearing weirdos who somehow managed to find other black-clad weirdos to dance with.

The next few years may be hard for many of the people we know and love. I'm not much of an activist, but I try to do as much good in the world as I can, and I hope that my fellow goths follow suit. Gothic Charm School has provided a great resource for those in America who can afford to donate to good causes.

For those who aren't ready to take a side, or who have chosen a different path, or are living in another part of the world, I would ask that you do your best to be kind. The well-being of your friends and family are more important than your politics. Your humanity is more important than your opinion. This applies to every one, people you know are suffering right now. People you love are losing sleep and living in fear. 

Maybe you can't change the world, but if you can reach out to someone and make their day a little easier, or their night a bit more restful, this is the time to do it.  This poem by Rilke always inspires me when I'm feeling a little bit lost. 

You Darkness - Rainer Maria Rilke

You, darkness, that I come from
I love you more than all the fires
that fence in the world,
for the fire makes a circle of light for everyone
and then no one outside learns of you.

But the darkness pulls in everything-
shapes and fires, animals and myself,
how easily it gathers them! -
powers and people-

and it is possible a great presence is moving near me.

I have faith in nights.

2 comments:

  1. Miss Lady of Manners reposted this blog post last night or this morning that I thought was fantastic! If any of your readers live here in the US and want to learn how to reach out to our reps, this is great: How to call your reps when you have social anxiety - http://echothroughthefog.cordeliadillon.com/post/153393286626/how-to-call-your-reps-when-you-have-social-anxiety

    There's a link to the "We're His Problem Now" doc with calls to action, sample scripts, and contact information for reps at every level.

    My motto is: if you can't win, be a pain in the ass. Remember, the PotUS works for *US* as do those we elect into other powered positions. We need to make ourselves HEARD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

    There was an old father of Dylan
    Who was seriously, mortally illin’
    “I want,” Dylan said
    “You to bitch till you’re dead.
    “I’ll be pissed if you kick it while chillin’.”

    ReplyDelete